The Word of South festival is excited to announce this year we’re hosting an opportunity for teachers in our community to share their talents on our Story Fort stage.
Are you a teacher who’s written a book? Loves storytelling with finger puppets or props? Plays an instrument you could share with kids at the festival?
Please come and join us on our Story Fort stage and share your talents with us.
For the last three years, the Story Fort stage has been a place for celebrating books and music with our younger audiences, typically lower elementary ages. If you haven’t seen it, we setup the Story Fort under a large tent over by the Discovery Playground at Cascades Park. One half of the space under the tent is dedicated to a stage and seating area around the stage and the other half is our famous Maker Table, providing kids with access to art supplies throughout the weekend.
The atmosphere is festive and exciting with kids and adults enjoying performances and spending time together crafting pieces of art.
If you are a local teacher with a talent you’d like to share or would like try something a little new and different, we’d love to have you come out and join our festival!
Some ideas of what you could do:
- Storytelling, with props or costumes
- Engage attendees with a group story
- Have your students write an original story and then read or perform it onstage
- Play an instrument/sing
- Dramatic reading of a beloved children’s story
- Share a craft based on a book (Word of South can help supply materials)
Sunday April 15, 2018
- Story Fort tent, which is the tent next to the Discovery Playground at Cascades Park
- Each performer will have a maximum of 25 minutes for their performance, however your performance does not have to be 25 minutes long
- Groups of up to four performers are welcome
- Microphones and a professional sound person will be at the stage
- No amplified instruments, no piano
- Any artist with books, CD’s, or other goods they’d like to sell are welcome to do so at the Story Fort stage. You must have your own system for collecting payments. Story Fort is not responsible for processing sales. You are also welcome to work with us to have the onsite bookstore stock your goods.
- Word of South will help you spread the word about your performance
Interested? Please register below and one of our festival organizers will reach out to you to confirm details and plan your performance.
Date: April 15, 2018